Friday, September 2, 2011

New Song

Last week I went to hear Dan Navarro and a small venue in the north suburbs. I’ll refrain from commenting one whether I thought he was better or worse without Lowen, but I’ll say that it was frankly a great show.

And is typical after really good music, I found myself up all night with my own guitar writing a song. A good one I think. Uplifting. I’m writing it for a band I haven’t met and we’ll see what happens.

But, I mention it because music is what cleanses my pallet. I spend a lot of time with my research and inventions. And music just helps me re-center. And I think that’s a critical part of science.

In fact most of the really great scientists and inventors I have known have been musicians or artist as well. Or both. But all had all parts of their mind fed: creative, analytical, philosophical.

I don’t think it’s important that we be great at everything we do. But I think if we are going to be great at anything we need to do a lot. You cannot create without experiences.

Preston’s World would not exist if I hadn’t worked at drug stores as a teenager. Blue Blood Tracker would not exist if John Fischer wasn’t a hunter in addition to being forensic analyst. And don’t get me started on my songs.

That’s about all I have to say this morning. Oh yea… one more thing I actually wrote the important lines of the new song at the concert itself. So let me just thank Mr. Navarro now.

Until Later
Charles

No comments: