Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cross-Pollinating

So, I am working on a paper I intend to submit to the society of plastics engineers on fingerprinting. Ok when I say it like that it seems like I should be rethinking my audience. But, in addition, to other professional associations, I am a member of the Color and Appearance Division of the Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE). And there is more cross-over that you would think.

Ok, in general, SPE members are concerned with consumer products where color is an aesthetic property. In forensics, color is a functional property that aids in visualization. But, the technology for the actual coloration crosses over from one application to the other. Sometimes the failure in one arena is a success in the other. So, it behooves me to follow other industries.

For example, the first official use of fingerprinting in western culture that I am aware of is a British Officer who was trying to verify payment receipt. And I believe he got the idea from a Japanese pottery journal.

For myself, the axis-inversion colors, were born out of a sublimation printing product and work on the old principals of printers resists. They sublime into the substrate to form a colored in the matrix like textile printing. But, they do not penetrate where the fingerprint blocks migration.

But, that’s the point, there are a lot of innovations to be found in other industries and arts.

Well, that’s all for today.

No comments: